I've been working hard on my blog... cleaning it up, organizing it, and going back through old posts (over 400 of them!) and editing some content and improving pictures.
The headboard was purchased from a friend who also purchased from a friend and that friend smoked and so the headboard smelled horribly of cigarette smoke... that's why my friend sold it to me.
Step 1... wait... whaaaat? Vinegar? That's it?!
- Put the vinegar (undiluted) into the spray bottle.
- Lay down a tarp of some sort (I use old shower curtain liners) and put your furniture piece on it
- Spray the entire piece down with the vinegar
- Let it dry overnight
And Since I wrote that original headboard post January 1, 2015 I have had the headboard on my bed where I sleep every night and I have never smelled even a hint of cigarette smoke!
- Test it in an area on your piece that won't be visible first to make sure it doesn't do anything to the color. I did not do this step because I knew that I was going to paint this headboard so it didn't matter.
- Do this outside! I did it indoors because it was winter and COLD outside at the time and I wanted it to dry not freeze! This was a BIG Mistake! After awhile my eyes started watering, burning, and swelling! :o(
- This method worked for me and the headboard but I cannot guarantee that it will work for you so I would not spend a ton of money on something that has smoke odors just in case. I would hate for you to spend hundreds and be stuck with a stinky piece you can't use in your home.