Laundry Room Redo - DIY Sliding Rustic Door

Remember when I said I had one more big project left for my laundry room redo? Well here it is!

DIY a rolling barn door


When I had my first walk through of the house before I bought it I knew immediately that I wanted a sliding door over the opening to the laundry room if I bought the house.

Here is what it looked like before. The arrows are pointing to the old accordion folding door thing.


I found the perfect door at my local Habitat store for only $10!


At first I had picked out a solid wood door but then I saw this one and thought since my living room is so dark already it might be nice to have the window to allow the light to come through still when it's closed. The back of my house gets all the sunlight :o(

I think there must have been a cat door in it at one time that someone blocked off. Some people would have passed on it for that very reason but I thought it just added more character! :o)


My dad and I whipped this project out Saturday... yep whipped it out... in about 5 hours! ha ha! I think the part that took the longest was shopping for the supplies (we had to hit up both Lowe's and Home Depot to get all the piping, floor flanges, tees, nipples, flanges, and things I've never even heard of before!)


We used Kristi's plan over at Addicted to Decorating. It worked great and she has a complete supply list of everything you'll need!

I used sliding closet door pulls for the hole where the door knob was. They are like little cups and come in brass, nickel, and bronze. This way a door knob won't hit the wall or be in the way when you are walking down the hall past it.



Now I just needed to clean it up and paint it!

I used a sample pot of Valspar Tropical Oasis. As you can see it's kind of a peacock blue.


I liked it but it was a little it too bright for me so I used some Translucent Color Glaze, also by Valspar, in Mocha and rubbed it all over the door, mooshing it into the cracks and crevices with a rag and then went back over with a slightly damp, clean rag rubbing in circular motions until I got the look I liked. It toned the color down and made the door look a little more aged which I like.


Next was to frost the glass but I couldn't use a spray frost since my door was already hung at this point. I opted to use Clear Contact Paper instead! Easy, cheap, and removable! 

Here's tip that worked for me. I was having a heck of a time getting all the little air bubbles out from between the glass and contact paper until I remembered a little tip I saw online (probably on Pinterest!) that said to put soapy water on the glass. I tried it and it worked like a charm! There weren't nearly as many bubbles as there were before and the ones that were there squeegeed right out!

To make the letters I used Stick-On Vinyl Letters. Place them directly on top of the contact paper and cut around them with an X-acto knife. Then peel off the letter and the contact paper all together to reveal your cut out letters!



I'm so happy with how this door turned out!


Here is one final before shot from the living room after the accordion door was removed.


If you've missed any of the previous laundry room projects you can see them all here:


I'll be back in a couple of days for the final reveal!